Wednesday 2 June 2010

Creepy Paper Cuts


The Happy Journey Collective is a rather unusual venture, originating from a Twitter conversation between the uber talented Thereza Rowe, Lesley Barnes and Abi Daker. The idea was to invite artists to design their own illustrated coffins (not nearly as sinister as it sounds). The collection has now completely taken off, with around 25 artists taking part so far and has caught the attention of numerous online blogs and magazines.

Imagine my surprise, therefore, when they asked me to contribute an image.

I've recently become completely obsessed with paper cuts, particularly those by Peter Callesen and Rob Ryan. They are so intricate- engineering marvels, yet look amazingly clean and crisp. Perfect, in short, for a coffin.

So here it is, pretty much my first ever paper cut and definitely my first funeral piece. It was quite a fiddly process, I managed to get almost all the way through the first season of 'Ashes to Ashes' whilst doing it and my desk now looks like its been snowed on. All in all though, I think it has been fairly successful, at least the ladies from the Happy Journey Collective seem pleased, and it's definitely an improvement on those dull, pine boxes.


1 comment:

●• Thereza said...

what a lovely post Jennie! and i love the extra shots of the artwork, incredibly beautiful :)